Monday, November 16, 2009

Planet suggestions for dessert?

I'm looking plant some easy to care for plants in my backyard and I'm looking for advice and suggestions. I have a low brick planter that is the full length of my back wall - and which follows another side of the wall as well. The wall gets sun from morning till late afternoon, and I live in the dessert so its dry (though there are sprinklers) and hot here (around 100 F in the dead of summer). When I moved in the backyard had a variety of plants in the planter (honeysuckle, those big bushes w/ red berries, a mini-rose bush, ETC) but over the years they have passed away. I dont spend alot of time out there, but it looks horrible and I would like to spend some time making it nice. Anyone have any suggestions for plants that are hearty, easy to card for and that would grow well here? I was thinking perhaps some more honeysuckle and maybe a wisteria tree. I would like the wall to be covered in green. Thank you for any advice/suggestions you have!

Planet suggestions for dessert?
lantana,sage,aloe vera,sago palm,cape honeysuckle,rosemary,bougainvillea,roses... type of cacti.there are a lot more you can go to your local nursery and see what else they have in the full sun selection.
Reply:In areas that get direct sun, plant sage, oleander (note: poisonous to some animals), hummingbird mint (attracts hummingbirds, bees and pollinating insects, and smells like mint), ornamental grasses ranging from fescue (very small, fine blades) to pampas (gets as tall as a person, looks like those french fry monsters from McDonald's). Also rock rose does well.





Culinary herbs that do well in this environment: culinary sage, rosemary, basil, thyme.





In areas that get some sun and some shade: I have planted rock rose, Mexican hat, coneflower, and some ornamental grasses.





Water thoroughly for the first few days, then watch them to make sure they're doing OK. After that you can leave them alone, as they don't need excessive watering. The first year you may need to weed a bit, but as the plants begin to thrive, it will be less of an issue.





FWIW, I live in Dallas and we get reasonably hot weather with long dry spells... but it's not the desert.





Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment